Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bleeding Violet-Dia Reeves



Bleeding Violet


Love can be a dangerous thing....

Hanna simply wants to be loved. With a head plagued by hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet stuffed with frilly, violet dresses, Hanna's tired of being the outcast, the weird girl, the freak. So she runs away to Portero, Texas in search of a new home.
But Portero is a stranger town than Hanna expects. As she tries to make a place for herself, she discovers dark secrets that would terrify any normal soul. Good thing for Hanna, she's far from normal. As this crazy girl meets an even crazier town, only two things are certain: Anything can happen and no one is safe. (Goodreads)
★★★★






I made a big mistake, this mistake being I forgot the Goodreads synopsis of Bleeding Violet. I was basically just going on blindness, I started reading, and if you've read this, you can imagine how freaked out I was. I will be honest I was scratching my head for the first couple of pages,  Hanna disturbed me she is a good character though very complex, and extremely entertaining to read. She does have scrambled brains and that makes her vibrant and interesting. I loved the eerie world Dia Reeves concocted it was very Supernatural like. I loved the banter between Wyatt and Hanna, Wyatt was someone Hanna could relate too, and Hanna was someone Wyatt could relate too, it was that simple.Wyatt is a freak, and Hanna is eccentric to say the least, for the first time they can just be themselves.  Rosalie just had me curious, her cold attitude toward her daughter, and then things toward the end just had me stunned. All the gore kept things from being too wishy washy in my opinion, Hanna had lots of emotions, and the monsters kept things from being depressing.  Dia is a a very colorful writer, I felt the story unfold in front of me like someone was painting it, if that makes a bit of sense. I never felt like a Paranormal YA could have the good traits of a Contemporary YA, but this did. If you are not fully aware of the plot though going into this book stuff can shock you. Hanna is three shades of crazy, and you just have to accept that in order to relate to her character. Also whenever characters have accents like Hanna, who is Finnish, I just can not imagine that in my brain, and I do not do them justice, they end up being American. This book was twisted, but in a great way, its not for the weak stomached though that is for sure. Dia Reeves is extremely talented and can bring the darkest stories to life, and make you see the good in them. She made me feel something for Hanna and all the characters who have their faults. The best thing I think an author can do is make you compassionate for a flawed person.  I really loved this entire story,and I am super excited to read Slice of Cherry.




"Crazy never looked so beautiful" -That is what the cover states, and it could not be truer. 

2 comments:

Kat said...

I really want to read this book, along with Slice of Cherry, which I actually heard about first. Now I *have* to read it-- I love the sound of Hanna and her crazy antics and Portero. Awesome review. :)

Unknown said...

This book looks so great. My blog partner got Slice of Cherry at a book sale, but hasn't been able to get her hands on this one yet. I would love to read these; the descriptions sound so great!

Great review!

Nora @ The Bucket List