Friday, December 17, 2010

The Demon's Covenant -Review


★★★★★- I would give this more cause its bloody brilliant! 

Words can not express my feelings toward this one, I was so team Alan I mean I still am in a way, but Nick totally obliterated my heart in this one, just smashed it to pieces. Nick just captivated me, he tries so hard to be human, he is just so socially inept it makes you ache. No words I write in this review will do this book justice. Sarah Rees Brenna is one my all time favorite authors, I was sad because I loved her first book so much, I thought there is no way I like The Demon's Covenant as much, no author can do that. She did it, and I stand corrected. Not only did she do it, but she owned it, and she wrote one of my all time favorite books. Mae, is just unbelievable, contemporary, honest, flawed, brilliant, just I felt her every emotion. Also the roof scene, once you read this you will know what I mean, the roof scene will forever hold a special place in my heart. I love Alan to bits, but I'm just a Nick girl, the crackling chemistry between Nick and Mae, it nearly caught the pages on fire. Still you can't help but love Alan, and his awkward yet, controlling ways. He is just in charge, but you can't tell, he honestly for me felt less human at times than Nick, and Nick felt so human, maybe even more human than any other character. Nick is just like an alien, he wants to understand us, but then he witnesses all the hurt, and our strange ways, then he has no desire. I have a feeling I would like Nick no matter what, he can't do anything for me to not like him. I get frustrated with Alan, but he is just Alan, and he is heart warming, and you want to love him, you just want someone to love him, but really he has Nick who offers him what he can, and maybe what Nick has to offer is better than love. Jamie stole the show a few times, and I just adore him he makes me laugh out loud, and I just am in awe of Sarah Rees Brenna's ability to make me feel like I'm a apart of the conversation. Like I read her words and think, " That is so Nick" or "Oh man that will make Alan so mad.." like I know them, but I don't, but the important thing is that Sarah Rees Brennan makes me feel like I could, or that I do. Also another great thing that happened is Annabell she is magnificent, I cried for her, and her gracefulness. What is going on is, Nick and Alan have to save poor Jamie, you would think that might get old, but not with writing like this, not with writing that brings the Goblin Market alive, makes you feel like your behind the bike shed goofing off, or learning to throw knives in a dingy rundown house. Vibrant characters, and loads of adventure, not to mention the best love triangle I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I'm not being self deprecating really, you just can't understand how great this book is, at least not based on my words, a unique, raw, magical, fierce tale, that I'm sure you will devour
-I misspell her name EVERY TIME I write it but I fixed it, Rees Rees Rees not Reese..

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Truly, this one of my favorite books of the year. Perhaps even my very favorite....

Katy said...

I can certainly understand why, so well written, I'm excited for the next one.

Angiegirl said...

Oh, yeah. So. Much. Win.