Thursday, March 18, 2010

Beastly Review

Beastly


I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.


I've always liked The Beauty and The Beast its one of my favorite Disney movies, and I knew as as soon as I heard about this book I had to read it. When I finally got my hands on a copy I was pumped. Kyle Kingsbury is a riot even when he is a jerk. He gets turned into the beast because he is a major arse and crosses the goth girl who just happens to be a witch. This story could have been depressing but at times when Kyle was supposed to be upset I just found him hilarious and a drama queen. For instance at the start of one chapter Kyle simply says. "I changed my name." I can just see him draped over a chaise lounge with his hand covering his eyes in a dark and gloomy room. He goes on to discuss how his knew name is Adrian because it means dark one, and I am the dark one. He is just so theatrical and melodramatic it makes me smile. Then he starts saying this like milady and tending to roses. The story is strong and it most certainly teaches you a lesson. You understand that deep down under all the dramatics Kyle or Adrian is actually lonely, and you become more accustomed to calling him Adrian eventually. I love how Will his tutor and Magda refer to him as Adrian happily. He also wakes them at 6 in the morning to prepare for Lindy. Lindy is a girl offered to him by her drug addicted thief of a father. At first Lindy hates him, but then she gives in to him. Lindy is kind of like a little kid she lived a rough life so all the fancy stuff excites her. She is really cute with a snarky since of humor and a HUGE heart. She is beautiful inside and out, and Adrian couldn't have chosen a better person. Will and Magda are great secondary characters. You grow to love them just as much as you do Adrian and Lindy. The witch Kendra is kind of fun in a witchy way you start to not hate her for her spell casting. This book was just really great, and it made me love the old tale even more. If you like the The Beauty and The Beast you will love this book I did.

& this is the movie trailer that I found on YouTube..thanks Mary :)

6 comments:

BookHounds said...

Loved this one as well....can't wait for the movie...there are trailers up on You Tube and I think they did a great job with picking the actors...

Katy said...

No way its a movie that excites me I just finished it I loved it..Adrian is so hilarious.

Angiegirl said...

I'm really fond of this book. I just thought it was extremely well done. Glad you did, too!

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

Fun! I have this one on my shelf and I need to read it. Here's an award Here

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

The movie looks really good! I may have to get the book too. Thank you for sharing this, I had not seen this book around.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely loved this book, the support group almost killed me, I was laughing THAT hard during those parts :D