Monday, May 16, 2011

How To Ruin A Summer Vacation-Review

Ruined (How to Ruin, #1-3)

★★★★★


If you are an old follower of my blog, you know I am a huge Simone Elkeles fan. She is just a "Instant Buy" for me. I found it strange I had not read her Ruined series, I honestly think it was the covers that drove me away, I know shallow right? How did I fix that, with the new cover for the binded book, all three in one. I can now say I am an even bigger fan, and Amy Nelson Barak is one of my favorite MC's. Must say I really love this cover more than the original.

Amy is full of snark, she is sarcastic as all get out, but you love her. She is so sweet, and one of the most enjoyable characters to read. Her father Ron is adorable, he has never been a part of Amy's life, but not for lack of trying. She is a tough as nails girl, she harbors a resentment for her father never marrying her mother. She and Ron just have a lot of issues to work on, and they will have a lot of time to do it. Ron is taking Amy to Israel to see her sick Safta (Grandmother) whom she has never met. Amy needless to say does not want to go, and is pissed about it. Ron does his best to accommodate her, but he also does not take any of her BS. Amy is a fish out of water in Israel, and she does not mesh very well with her cousin O'snot, or Snotty as Amy calls her. Amy is freaking out, its hot as hades, and nothing is going her way. She does start to bond with her Safta, and she begins to really find herself while in Israel. She clashes with a very tall, very dark, and very handsome boy named Avi.  Avi is broken, and Amy is not the most caring of people, they bring out the best in each other though, he teachers her to care, and she teaches him to laugh. They of course do not get along at first, its hilarious, and Amy's train of thought is hysterical, just so funny. It is not at all like Perfect Chemistry or Leaving Paradise, which struck me as odd, because really this book deals with more serious issues, they are in an actual war zone, with bombs, and Avi has to join the army in three months. Even though all this drama is happening, you find yourself literally laughing out loud for most of the book. Avi and Amy are two of the most intriguing people, it is so lovely to just watch their friendship grow. I really love the direction the book went in, and I can not wait to keep reading.

Read More
Goodreads
Simone Elkeles

2 comments:

Savannah said...

Thanks for the review! I plan to read this during the summer!

Melody said...

I can't stress how much I love this book! & This author. Amazing! I love Amy & the shenanigans that run through her mind.