Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Slice of Cherry-Dia Reeves






Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.
It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities .. (Goodreads)

★★★★★



Holy crap what an intense ride that was, my mind is still sufficiently blown. I feel like if I don't write this review this very minute, I might not do it justice. Believe me this review is crucial, I have to write it, or I might die. I might burst from not sharing with you the sheer awesomeness of this book. Dia Reeves is a rock-star, if you take nothing else away from this review, so be it, just know that to be fact. I know that after you finish any good book, your like that was unique, I'm sure it was, but you do not know the definition of the word until you read a Dia Reeves book. I've read TWO, and at this time and place I am struggling to not build a shrine of her for worshiping purposes. Fancy and Kit are a little strange, you know when you are watching Law and Order SVU or Criminal Minds, and the episode just goes a little too far. Like, just off the charts creepy, but then you find yourself thinking how true it all is, that is Slice of Cherry. Have you ever wondered what happens to a serial killers children, when something that earth shattering occurs in a teenagers life, what happens? Fancy and Kit struggle with their inner demons so to speak, instead of walking down a dark path of Natural Born Killer, they take a vigilante root. This might seem strange anyplace but Portello, they have monsters there, things are vastly paranormal. Killing bad people, no one really cares.  Fancy is struggling with growing up, when I stay struggling I mean she just flat our refuses to do it. She dresses like a little girl, and has tea parties, and always has her hair in pigtails, then a slightly psychologically disturbed kindred spirit takes an interest in her. That would be IIan EE-AN, and his brother Gabe takes a similar interest in Kit, the perfect brothers date sisters epicness. What makes it even more perfect, they are utter soul mates, not one other person on the planet could relate to either of them, so good thing they all have each other. Everything is not exactly what it seems though, everyone isn't exactly truthful. How do killers feel about lying, is it the one thing they can not forgive? This book was just a thrill ride, it was like the sickest roller-coaster. I just can not sing its praises enough. I rank Dia Reeves with the true greats (Megan Whalen Turner, Suzanne Collins, Kristen Cashore, Sarah Rees Brennan) that good. Also read Bleeding Violet its like someone tossed a crazy grenade into your mind, and instead of carnage its a glitter explosion.  

3 comments:

Becky B. @ Bibliognome said...

Awesome review. Totally agree with you about this book it was a long book but the pages just fly by. I especially loved the happy place in the book and everything that they were able to do.

Katy said...

I said to myself, "Self, why do you like this so much, what does that say about you?" however it is just so good you can not help it!

A Story Untold said...

I liked this one too, very much!I still haven't read Bleeding Violet.
Great review!