Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)


Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love. (Description via Goodreads)



I have been dead to the world of late and that would be because I am now Team Peeta!!!! I read the Hunger Games and now own Catching Fire, so I will be delving into that. I have no clue what my hold up was with The Hunger Games I had it on my shelf for ages. Now I can officially say I'm a huge fan and honestly I rank it on my personal list high with the likes of Harry Potter, Graceling and Fire, The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, and The Mortal Instruments. For me that translates I'm a BIG Hunger Games fan girl now. Katniss Everdeen and I we had an instant connection. For one I live in the Appalachians and know many coal miners, so that hit home. Her will and determination had me hooked so fast, and I was captivated completely with Panem, and the Capitol. The Hunger Games just took reality TV to an entirely new level. It reminded me that our society could go down a very bad road if given the right circumstance. Katniss and Peeta have no choice but to connect on some level. They are tossed in the Hunger Games and forced to dress and act a certain way, and then fight to the death for the entertainment of the Capitol folk. The people in the districts get no enjoyment truly they are watching two kids from their district struggle to survive. The characters in this story were so addicting I fell madly in love with them all minus a few Hunger Games Tributes. The fellow tributes trying to kill of precious Peeta and Katniss infuriated me, but I found myself appreciating Foxface's cunning charm, and Thresh's personality, oh and Rue who can't love her the little girl fighting to stay alive. Rue was so important she basically gave Katniss hope and a will to survive. Haymitch the drunk past winner from District 12 Katiniss and Peeta's district, was kind of lovable not to mention helpful. Effie the one basically tasked with teaching them manners and making them presentable had my heart as well. They all cared for Katniss and Peeta, but knew they could possibly die so you had to keep that in the back of your mind at all times. The actual Hunger Games were so intense I felt like I was in the arena with Katniss dodging fire balls. I love when a story can suck you in so deep you truly feel the wind blowing and the smoke joking your lungs from the fire reining down around you. I also struggled just like Katniss did with her feelings for Gale and Peeta. In the end of it my heart went to Peeta, not that he cares he is way to entranced with Katniss, and she doesn't even realize her actual beauty. I'm still kicking myself for waiting so long to read this amazing book, and if you haven't read it seriously what are you waiting for?

2 comments:

Karin Perry said...

I absolutely LOVED this book. Thanks for sharing your review for the reading challenge.
Karin

christa @ mental foodie said...

I was the same! I won this book over a year ago and never read it for some reasons, and when I finally did, I wondered why I waited?!?! The 2nd book didn't disappoint either :)

Here's my review of The Hunger Games:

http://mentalfoodie.blogspot.com/2010/04/book-review-hunger-games-by-suzanne.html