Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hex Hall/Silver Borne

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

I really liked this book, and I wasn't expecting what I got actually. Sophie was spunky and kind of a flawed heroine actually she wasn't super amazing or unbeatable she was painfully average. When she finally did put all the pieces together and figure everything out you were happy. I felt kind of bad for Archer her love interest bad boy warlock because I think he might have been a little bit framed. This book was really cute, and it had lots of fun supernatural elements. I don't know if this makes sense but it was kind of a cross between A Great and Terrible Beauty and Demon's Lexicon. I thought the characters were developed and easy to like, and all the twists were interesting.



Silver Borne (Mercedes Thompson, #5)

Being a mechanic is hard work. Mercy Thompson, for instance, just spent the last couple of months trying to evade the murderous queen of the local vampire seethe, and now the leader of the werewolf pack - who's maybe-more-than-just-a-friend - has asked for her help. A book of fae secrets has come to light and they're all about to find out how implacable - and dangerous - the fae can be. OK, so maybe her troubles have nothing to do with the job. But she sure could use a holiday ...
***Possible Spoilers***
This book might be my favorite despite its lack of Stefan. It made me adore Adam Hauptman more if thats humanly possible, and I instantly fell in love with Ariana I could feel her panic attacks. How sad was it that she's scared of wolves and dogs and Sam is a wolf, and I could just feel his heart sink when she became afraid of him. That is certainly true love I mean come on they were apart for hundreds of years, but she still treats him like a close personal friend. The story was just perfect Patricia Briggs she fits everything together so eloquently for an Urban Fantasy book. The flow is just timed right, and everything happens at the exact moment it should. Nothing is rushed, and I always feel fulfilled and content when the book is over. This book had everything it gave us a glimpse of Bran, and then a tiny glimpse of Charles, and then left me feeling warm and fuzzy for Samuel and Sam. Plus Mercy and Adam solidified their bond. Everything was just how it should be with a little mystery woven in for good measure.

-Combined review for books I read during Read-A-Thon

2 comments:

Angiegirl said...

I loved Ariana & Sam, too! It was the perfect direction for his story to take and I didn't see it coming at all and that made it that much more sweet.

I'm intrigued by HEX HALL. Will have to check it out.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Both of these books are on my list. I was curious to see what you thought of them. Glad you enjoyed them. Thank you!