Friday, December 18, 2009

Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures 
Author(s)-Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Pages-576

Description Courtesy of Goodreads
There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.



Rated 5 on a scale of 1-5
I love the opening of this book it sets the tone for the entire story. The description of the town and learning about Ethan's strange dreams about a strange girl. I liked how the book was told from Ethan's point of view instead of Lena the female main characters. Ethan has it all but in his mind he has nothing because he isn't happy.  He is a jock but those things don't matter to him or do they? He meets Lena the strange niece of the town shut in, and the other kids don't seem to like her, but Ethan does. He tries befriending her and its fruitless for a while. He knows he shouldn't be talking to her or giving her rides, but he can't stop. Ethan's friend Link tries to understand, and he is nice to Lena to, but Link's mother is spearheading a campaign to get rid of Lena the trouble maker. Everyone seems to be against Lena and Ethan his own mother figure and Lena's uncle Macon. Lena has a big secret she shares with Ethan it makes an already complicated situation more complicated, but Ethan doesn't give up on Lena.  Its the normal teenage struggle of trying to find yourself and understand your family only amplified.  The plot is fast paced, and Lena and Ethan are extremely raw and powerful. Lena may be strong and appear different, but she just wants the other kids to like her.  Ethan may seem calm and rational, but  he is still aching over the death of his mother and his father's downward spiral. The side characters are sometimes my favorite and this time my favorite would be Ridley Lena's long lost cousin. She is a force of nature with a serious attitude and rockstar sunglasses. She shakes things up a  bit to say the least. I think this was a compelling story, and had a hard time putting it down to go to  sleep.

6 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

I've heard such good things about this book. I really, really want to try it!

Katy said...

I loved it I just thought it was so different.

Anonymous said...

I loved Beautiful Creatures. Thanks for posting the review on the Holiday Break Reading Challenge review page.

Kathy Martin said...

I thought Beautiful Creatures was the most amazing book that I have read in a while too. I'm glad you enjoyed it and liked your review.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I am so glad you liked this story. I have heard many great things about it and it is on my list to get and read. So, I just hope my hopes aren't set to high for this book.

Thanks for the great review.

Katy said...

-Karin thanks for hosting the contest

-Kathy it was so great original


-Melissa I think you will like it :)